Welcome to the academic website of Dr. Michael Widener. I am the Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) in Transportation and Health, and an assistant professor in the Department of Geography and Planning at the University of Toronto.
I am primarily interested in topics related to health, transportation, and urban geography and planning and use a number of methods to explore research problems in these areas. Check out my teaching and research pages for more information about what I am currently working on.
Students interested in pursuing a graduate degree under my direction are encouraged to check out my research page and contact me at michael.widener [at] utoronto.ca about potential thesis and dissertation projects.
- Assistant Professor (tenure track), Geography – University of Cincinnati (2012-2015)
- PhD, Geography – University at Buffalo, State University of New York (2012)
- External PhD Student Fellow – New England Complex Systems Institute (2010-2012)
- MS, Geography – Florida State University (2009)
- BA Highest Honors, Geography – University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (2007)